The Lady in Blue/ La dama de azul


Detail of the Portrait of Ven. María of Ágreda on display in the Museum of the Viceroyalty of New Spain in Tepotzotlán, Mexico/ Retrato de Ven. María de Ágreda en el museo del Virreinato de Nueva España en Tepotzotlán

(Versión en español más abajo)

Yesterday we celebrated Palm Sunday in which Christ the King took possession of His capital in Jerusalem. It was also the birthday of a saint who was crucial in the salvation of numerous souls in the Viceroyalty of New Spain.

María Coronel y de Arana was born on 2 April 1602 in the small town of Ágreda, located in the province of Soria, in the Eastern part of Castile, Spain. She joined the Conceptionists in her hometown at age fourteen and took the name María de Jesús. She is known as a contemplative and a mystic, and for being a great defender of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception. She is best known for being the author of The Mystical City of God. What is far less known about her is that she was a major figure in bringing the one true Faith to the Overseas territories of the Spains. She is responsible for the conversion of a vast number of Indians in the New World and she accomplished this missionary feat without ever leaving her convent in Spain.

Fray Alonso de Benavides was a Franciscan friar serving as a missionary in the Internal Provinces of the Viceroyalty of New Spain. He was assigned to the Ysleta Mission where he ministered to the local Indians as well as to the Spanish settlers and soldiers that lived there. Beginning in 1620, bands of Jumano Indians started to visit him at the mission and ask that he send missionaries to their tribal lands in the East in order to baptize them. He was unable to meet their requests due to severe limitations in supplies and personnel, and due to the great distance between his mission and their tribal lands. On 16 June 1629, a supply caravan arrived from the capital of New Spain. The caravan brought people and supplies as well as a letter of inquiry from the Archbishop of Mexico City named Francisco Manso y Zúñiga. The Archbishop wanted to know if any of the Indians he encountered showed previous knowledge of the Catholic faith, and if so, how they had come about this knowledge.

This request from the Archbishop came as a result of a letter that he had received from Spain earlier that year. The letter was written by a priest named Fray Sebastián Marcilla who was the confessor of a particular Conceptionist nun named María de Jesús in Ágreda. It described the amazing events told to him by this nun in which she alleged to have bilocated numerous times in order visit various Indian peoples whom she catechized and prepared for the arrival of the Franciscan missionaries. Written in the account from the nun were details that were otherwise impossible for her to know. She was able to give minute details of the geography surrounding these Indians, the names of the specific tribes she visited, as well the names and physical descriptions of key figures in them.

A band of fifty Jumano Indians came to Mission Ysleta on 22 July 1629. This band was led by their chief, a one eyed man named Capitán Tuerto, who had been described in detail by Sor María of Ágreda. He asked them to enter his office so he could speak to them and find out the reason for their visit. Capitán Tuerto told him that they had been instructed in the faith by the Lady in Blue and that they wished to be baptized. The chief noticed a portrait on the wall and said that the Lady in Blue looked like that woman except she was younger and more beautiful. He also noted that the Lady in Blue wears the same clothes as that woman. The painting was a portrait of Mother Luisa Colmenares of Carrión who herself was famous at that time for reportedly having had the stigmata. It depicted an elderly nun of the same order as Sor María de Jesús who was indeed wearing the same cobalt blue habit and black vail. The chief told Fray Benavides that the Lady in Blue visits them by flying in the sky and that she preaches the Gospel to them and instructs them in the Faith.

Fray Alonso de Benavides sent two priests and three soldiers to go back with the Jumano band in order to further investigate these claims. Among the priests was Fray Juan de Salas who recorded these events. They went with the Jumanos some distance before they were eventually met by twelve Jumano scouts. The scouts knelt down and kissed the hem of the friars’ habit and made the sign of the cross upon meeting them. These scouts said that they had been sent by the Lady in Blue who had told them to come to this exact spot in order to meet them and send word back to their camp that the friars were on their way. The scouts went ahead back to the Jumano camp where they were met again by the Lady in Blue who instructed the entire camp to make a large wooden cross and to adorn it with flowers. She told them to meet the priests while carrying the cross at the front of a procession with the whole tribe.

When the priests arrived at the camp, they began baptizing the entire tribe. While doing so, still more bands of neighboring tribes came and joined the Jumano camp. Each tribe arrived in procession with a cross decorated with flowers just as the Jumanos had done. When Fray Juan de Salas questioned them, they told him that they too had been visited by the Lady in Blue, and that she had instructed them in the faith and told them to go to this location in order to be baptized. The two Franciscan friars baptized ten thousand Indians in total during their time spent there. Before the Indians would let the two friars leave they insisted that they heal all those among them who were sick or injured. Fray Juan de Salas reports that they cured more than two hundred people during their time at the camp.

The two priests and three soldiers then went back to Mission Yselta and reported to Fray Alonso de Benavides all that they had witnessed. Fray Benavides then went to Mexico City in order to speak with Archbishop Francisco Manso y Zúñiga and tell him that he indeed had proof that the Indians had knowledge of the faith before making contact with the Franciscan missionaries, and he told him about the Lady in Blue. He was asked to compile these events in a report to the Church officials who were conducting this investigation in what became known as his Memorial. Fray Benavides was then sent to Ágreda, Spain in order to interview Sor María de Jesús. She was located at the Franciscan convent of the Poor Clares of the Immaculate Conception, and there she related to him her personal account of her bilocations to the Indians of New Spain. She did this while in the presence of her confessor and bound under an order of obedience to tell him all she knew. Fray Juan de Benavides then wrote a report of the interview and sent it to Pope Urban VIII, King Felipe IV of Spain, and to his superiors in the Franciscan Order.

Excerpts from the Memorial written by Fray Alonso de Benavides, 1630

According to the oral history passed down among the Jumano Indians, there was another miraculous event regarding the Lady in Blue. After the last visit of María of Ágreda to the Jumano people many of them went to sleep in the grassy field where she had instructed them. Upon waking, they all were amazed to see that the field was covered in blue flowers that were the same color as her mantle. This flower had never before been encountered by the Jumano, and has since been sighted throughout Texas and the neighboring areas. This flower is the bluebonnet (Lupinus texensis). The Jumano say that this flower grows everywhere that the Lady in Blue’s mantle touched the ground while she was evangelizing the Indians of Texas.

Ven. María de Jesús of Ágreda passed away on the morning of Pentecost, 16 May 1665, and her body lies incorrupt to this day in the sanctuary of the Convento de la Concepcíon in Ágreda, Spain. She reportedly died at 9 O’clock in the morning, which is piously believed to be the same time that the Holy Ghost descended on the twelve Apostles in the upper room on the first Pentecost. On 11 July 1666 the definitory of Burgos initiated the process of her beatification. She was declared Venerable by Pope Clement X. Her cause for beatification remains open to this day. The Círculo Camino Real de Tejas is currently making efforts in union with the organization postulating her cause for beatification and are looking forward to working with them in the hopes of obtaining her beatification and naming her as the Patron Saint of Texas.

Alférez Matthew ScullinCírculo Camino Real de Tejas


(Versión en español)

Ayer celebramos el Domingo de Ramos en el que Cristo Rey tomó posesión de su capital en Jerusalén. También es el cumpleaños de una santa que fue crucial en la salvación de numerosas almas en el Virreinato de Nueva España.

María Coronel y de Arana nació el 2 de abril de 1602 en el pequeño pueblo de Ágreda, situado en la provincia de Soria, en la parte oriental de Castilla, España. A los catorce años se unió a las Concepcionistas de su pueblo natal y tomó el nombre de María de Jesús. Se la conoce como monja contemplativa y mística, y por ser una gran defensora del dogma de la Inmaculada Concepción. Es más conocida por ser la autora del libro La mística ciudad de Dios. Sin embargo, es mucho menos conocida por haber sido una de las principales promotoras de la fe única y verdadera en los territorios españoles de ultramar. Es considerada responsable por la conversión de un gran número de indios en el Nuevo Mundo y llevó a cabo esta hazaña misionera sin salir de su convento en España.

Fray Alonso de Benavides fue un fraile franciscano que sirvió como misionero en las Provincias Internas del Virreinato de Nueva España. Fue designado como vicario de la misión Ysleta, donde atendió a los indígenas, así como a los pobladores y soldados españoles que vivían allí. A partir de 1620, varias bandas de indios Jumanos empezaron a visitarle en la misión para pedirle que enviara misioneros a las tierras de su tribu en el Oriente para bautizarlos. No pudo atender a sus peticiones debido a las graves limitaciones de suministros y de personal, y a la gran distancia entre su misión y las tierras de la tribu. El 16 de junio de 1629 llegó una caravana procedente de la capital de Nueva España. La caravana traía personas y suministros, así como una carta de investigación del arzobispo de Ciudad de México, Francisco Manso y Zúñiga. El arzobispo quería saber si alguno de los indios que encontraba mostraba conocimiento previo de la fe católica y, en caso afirmativo, cómo habían llegado a ese conocimiento.

Esta petición del Arzobispo fue consecuencia de una carta que le había recibido desde España a principios del mismo año. Esta carta estaba escrita por un sacerdote llamado Fray Sebastián Marcilla, que era confesor de una monja concepcionista llamada María de Jesús en Ágreda. Describía los increíbles sucesos que le había contado esta monja, en los que afirmaba haberse bilocado numerosas veces para visitar a varios pueblos indios a los que catequizaba y preparaba para la llegada de los misioneros franciscanos. En el relato de la monja figuraban detalles que de otro modo sería imposible que ella conociera. Fue capaz de dar detalles minuciosos de la geografía que rodeaba a estos pueblos, los nombres de las tribus concretas que visitó, así como los nombres y las descripciones físicas de las figuras clave de las mismas.

Una banda de cincuenta indios Jumanos llegó a la Misión Ysleta el 22 de julio de 1629. Estaba encabezada por su jefe, un hombre con un solo ojo llamado Capitán Tuerto, que había sido descrito con detalle por sor María de Ágreda. Éste les pidió que entraran en su despacho para poder hablar con ellos y así averiguar el motivo de su visita. El capitán Tuerto le dijo que habían sido instruidos en la fe por la Dama de Azul y que deseaban recibir el bautismo. El jefe se fijó en un retrato que había en la pared y dijo que la Dama de Azul se parecía a aquella mujer, pero que era más joven y más hermosa. También observó que la Dama de Azul llevaba la misma ropa que aquella mujer. El cuadro era un retrato de la Madre Luisa Colmenares de Carrión, famosa en aquella época por haber sufrido los estigmas. Representaba a una monja anciana de la misma orden de Sor María de Jesús que, efectivamente, vestía con el idéntico hábito azul cobalto y velo negro. El jefe contó a Fray Benavides que la Dama de Azul les visita volando por el cielo y que les predica el Evangelio y les instruye en la Fe.

Fray Alonso de Benavides envió dos sacerdotes y tres soldados para regresar con la banda de los Jumanos con el fin de investigar más detalladamente estas alegaciones. Entre los sacerdotes se encontraba fray Juan de Salas, que documentó estos hechos. Acompañaron a la banda durante un largo trecho antes de ser recibidos por doce exploradores Jumanos. Los exploradores se arrodillaron, les besaron el dobladillo del hábito e hicieron la señal de la Cruz al encontrarse con ellos. Estos exploradores dijeron que habían sido enviados por la Dama de Azul, que les había dicho que vinieran a este lugar exacto para reunirse con ellos y enviar un mensaje a su campamento de que los frailes estaban en camino. Los exploradores se adelantaron hasta el campamento de los Jumanos, donde fueron recibidos de nuevo por la Dama de Azul, que dio instrucciones a todo el campamento para que hicieran una gran cruz de madera y la adornaran con flores. Les dijo que se reunieran con los sacerdotes llevando la cruz al frente de una procesión con toda la tribu.

Cuando los sacerdotes llegaron al campamento, comenzaron a bautizar a toda la tribu. Mientras lo hacían, llegaron más bandas de tribus vecinas y se unieron al campamento Jumano. Cada tribu llegó en procesión con una cruz adornada con flores, igual que habían hecho los Jumanos. Cuando Fray Juan de Salas los interrogó, le dijeron que también ellos habían sido visitados por la Dama de Azul, y que ella los había instruido en la fe y les había dicho que fueran a este lugar para recibir el bautismo. Los dos frailes franciscanos bautizaron a diez mil indios en total durante el tiempo que pasaron allí. Antes de que los indios dejasen marchar a los dos frailes, insistieron en que curasen a todos los que entre ellos estuviesen enfermos o heridos. Fray Juan de Salas relata que curaron a más de doscientas personas durante su estancia en el campamento.

Los dos sacerdotes y los tres soldados regresaron entonces a la Misión Yselta e informaron a Fray Alonso de Benavides de todo lo que habían observado. Fray Benavides fue entonces a la Ciudad de México para hablar con el Arzobispo Francisco Manso y Zúñiga para decirle que efectivamente tenía pruebas de que los indios tenían conocimiento de la fe antes de entrar en contacto con los misioneros franciscanos, y le habló de la Dama de Azul. Se le pidió que recopilara estos hechos en un informe para los oficiales de la Iglesia que estaban llevando a cabo esta investigación en lo que se conocería como su Memorial. Fray Benavides fue entonces enviado a Ágreda, España, para entrevistar a Sor María de Jesús. Ella se encontraba en el convento franciscano de las Clarisas de la Inmaculada Concepción, y allí le contó su relato personal de sus bilocaciones a los indios de Nueva España. Lo hizo en presencia de su confesor y obligada por orden de obediencia a contarle todo lo que sabía. Fray Juan de Benavides escribió entonces un informe de la entrevista y lo envió al Papa Urbano VIII, al rey Felipe IV de las Españas y a sus superiores de la Orden Franciscana.

Extractos del Memorial escrito por Fray Alonso de Benavides, 1630

Según la historia oral transmitida entre los indios Jumanos, hubo otro suceso milagroso relacionado con la Dama de Azul. Tras la última visita de María de Ágreda a los Jumanos, muchos de ellos se echaron a dormir en el prado donde ella les había instruido. Al despertar, todos se asombraron al ver que el campo estaba cubierto de flores azules del mismo color que su manto. Los Jumanos nunca habían visto esta flor, y desde entonces se ha visto por todo Tejas y las zonas vecinas. Esta flor es el bluebonnet (Lupinus texensis). Los Jumanos dicen que esta flor crece en todos los lugares donde el manto de la Dama de Azul tocó el suelo mientras evangelizaba a los indios de Tejas.

La Ven. María de Jesús de Ágreda falleció en la mañana de Pentecostés, el 16 de mayo de 1665, y su cuerpo reposa incorrupto hasta el día de hoy en el santuario del Convento de la Concepción de Ágreda, España. Al parecer, murió a las nueve de la mañana, hora que, según la tradición piadosa, es la misma en que el Espíritu Santo descendió sobre los doce Apóstoles en el aposento alto en el primer Día de Pentecostés. El 11 de julio de 1666, el definitorio de Burgos inició el proceso de su beatificación. Fue declarada Venerable por el Papa Clemente X. Su causa de beatificación sigue abierta en la fecha de hoy. Actualmente, el Círculo Camino Real de Tejas está realizando gestiones en unión con la organización que postula su causa de beatificación y esperamos trabajar con ellos con el fin de conseguir su beatificación y nombrarla Patrona de Tejas.

Alférez Matthew ScullinCírculo Camino Real de Tejas

Deje el primer comentario

Dejar una respuesta